Registered on the World Heritage List by UNESCO as part of the Pilgrim's Way to Santiago de Compostela, the Saint-Hilaire church, built at the end of the 11th and beginning of the 12th centuries, is located outside the city walls on the pilgrims' route.
The church we are contemplating today dates back to the Romanesque period and the 19th century. Very degraded by the Wars of Religion, it would only be restored following its classification in 1846, under the impulse of Prosper Mérimée. Gothic and classical elements are eliminated to promote Romanesque unity.
Inside, Mathieu Lehanneur's liturgical ensemble is based on the impression that he explains in 2011 that "this church gives the very singular feeling of having been sunk into the ground, as if an invisible hand - perhaps divine - had anchored it here".